There is less than a week left in the transfer window and Chelsea are yet to sign a contract this month despite an injury crisis evident at the wing-back position.
That could change soon, however, with reports that the Blues are pursuing a deal for Barcelona full-back Sergino Dest.
Present at Camp Nou since a transfer from Ajax in 2020, the American international now sees his future uncertain due to the poor financial situation of the Catalan giants.
With Barca eager to collect some cash in the coming days, Chelsea may well be in a decent position to seal Dest’s signing before the deadline.
Howeverfootball.london wraps up all the latest news on the Blues’ pursuit of Dest.
According to Athleticismthe Blues are considering a loan deal for the 21-year-old Barcelona defender.
The report explains that Thomas Tuchel’s side still have him on their radar, even after recalling Kenedy from his loan spell in January.
However, with Reece James back in full fitness, Malang Sarr proving his worth and Kenedy recalled, it’s possible no signing will be made – which will have Chelsea fans worried.
Chelsea have an inside option they could rely on at left-back for the rest of the campaign at Kenedy.
The Brazilian was recalled from his loan spell at Flamengo earlier this month and was due to be sent to Spain with La Liga clubs interested in taking him on for the remainder of the campaign.
Still, Kenedy was brought into the first team on his return and signed into the Premier League squad. And Tuchel has admitted the 25-year-old is an option worth considering if no further deals can be made.
“Kenedy is back and I’m very happy about that,” Tuchel said on January 14. “It’s a huge opportunity for him to make his mark at this club and in this team. We will try from today to push him and support him as best we can.
Dest won’t leave Barcelona during the January transfer window, according to the right-back’s representative.
Chelsea have been credited with a keen interest in the Dutch-American, but their representatives believe there is little chance of him moving in the winter.
Michael Reschke, head of European football at ICM Stellar Sports, which represents Dest, said BILD: “He has no intention of changing clubs.”
The Express reported that Barca are ready to hold ‘vital talks’ with Dest, with the Blues preparing a £17million offer.
The Blues are desperate to provide alternatives in the full-back area following long-term injuries to Ben Chilwell and James.
Blues up pursuit as named prize
With the window that has opened in recent days, the Blues could be ready to step up their pursuit of the former Ajax player.
According to the Spanish outlet SPORTChelsea have gone all out to land the United States international, with a conservative €20m (£16.7m) price tag on their head.
It remains to be seen whether the West Londoners would be willing to strike a deal for Dest.
Who should Chelsea be looking to keep, loan or sell in January? Express yourself among the options below
One man who could have a say in Dest’s future is Chelsea captain Cesar Azpilicueta.
The Spaniard has been linked with a move to Barcelona and Atletico Madrid amid his expiring contract.
Should he move to Camp Nou, it might look like the Catalans would be inclined to sell Dest.